Monday, May 4, 2020

SciencesPo: A Promising Academic Experience? (Study + Work Abroad)

Okay, okay.

I am kinda having a problem with the new user interface of Blogger but right now, even that can't stop me from writing. I think that I am in a roll atm.

As I've mentioned in my previous blog, I've attended a webinar last May 2, 2020. It's entitled "Pinoys to the EU" and it was hosted by four Filipinos currently residing in the EU (of course). Three of them are students while the other one, Ms. Marie Tuason is in Germany for an internship.
 

It was really an eye-opening and inspiring experience to those of us who are seeking for better opportunities (and better educational system, c'mon). From what I've heard, I like the thought that Europeans give education a top priority and that they respect your time at home and during the weekends (which is rare here in the PH. I mean, I am being contacted by my boss at 10pm on a Saturday night. Who does that?)

Anyway, one of the speakers, Sam Quinto, who's currently studying in France messaged me from LinkedIn (which is really exciting, ngl). I was really all ears after he said during the webinar about the opportunities for Filipino in SciencesPo. I looked it up and it's true; SciencesPo partnered with CHED since 2017 to give 10 Filipino students yearly a full, French uni experience.

And I, of course, know SciencesPo. I was a bored, working from home employee, currently affiliated with a renewable energy provider and really interested with the energy sector when I happened to stumbled upon Coursera (I really love this site/app). I looked for something related with Energy and the course Politics and Economics of International Energy popped up. Of course, I took it, and now the rest is history. I am hooked beyond doubt.

I want to pursue a Master in International Energy (one of my options, of course). The program is really interesting because it changed my views about Climate Change and our demands and needs for Energy. The Philippines being a developing country (and also I've read a lot about the energy sector when I was applying for a position with the Department of Energy), we rely so much on coal and as far as I am concerned, the current secretary still want to used coal until such time we found another source of energy (which is really, really dumb). He said that "moratorium on any technology is a disservice to our country" I mean, even in the expense of the environment? Maybe he didn't know that we're trying to limit our expulsion of GHG because of the increasing global temperature. Anyway....

My previous statement is one of the reason why I wanted to have the degree. The Philippines need someone who will champion the cause of sustainable energy sources (or the research of it) and not just jump on any opportunity involving a huge amount of money from lobbyist or even foreign countries who look hungrily in our resources.

So I look it up and the requirements are quite easy (except the grades, I think. I am not a student with stellar grades). It's not a cheap program but the French Government offers scholarships and not to mention the one SciencesPo signed with CHED.

For the program of my choice, I need the following:
1. Personal Statement in English which includes the following:
- a clear idea of the professional field you've chosen;
- aspect of your personality and/or background that lead to the choice (you should convincingly state your reasons for choosing the program);
- connection with your career plans to ensure that you will really gain something from the course.
2. IELTS result of 7 (which is quite high in my opinion but if you're dealing with economics and politics, you should be well-versed in English and maybe even the common jargons)
3. Two (2) ACADEMIC REFERENCES (which is really, really hard for me atm to choose: Reference for MS)


That's all I know atm. I'll update you when I am informed fully about the scholarships you can apply in order to take the program. It's really costly because you will need at least ~900,000 Philippine Peso a year for TUITION ONLY.

Hasta la proxima.

No comments:

Post a Comment