Wednesday, November 29, 2023

[Stoic Meditation] The Pleasure of Tuning Out the Negative & You're Going To Be Okay

“How satisfying it is to dismiss and block out any upsetting or foreign impression, and immediately to have peace in all things.” 
Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, 5.2

 "Don’t lament this and don’t get agitated."

Marcus Aurelius, Meditations, 7,43



I am writing about two meditations today. Maybe it’s because I am a bit lazy but it’s more so that they are quite related.

What timely meditations for me (and probably for all of you). Whatever it is that you’re going through, you’re gonna make it! Everything is going to be okay for you as long as you choose to do so. 

The holiday season is fast approaching and somehow, I am not looking forward to it unlike the previous years. Maybe being a bit older plays a part in this emotion but then again, I don’t think that was the case a couple of months ago. 

I love Christmas and for some reason, I am a bit agitated that it’s fast approaching and that I would be ALONE in a foreign land. Let me fix that, emotionally alone. The previous year was such a blast as I have someone to make ruckus and mirth with. Now, I am totally dependent on myself and my capacity to will joy within me. When you really put it in a Stoic perspective, this is a great time to practice not having attachment and some sort of dependencies on other people. Lately, I’ve been very successful with this and I am learning that it’s okay to care and love people without wanting to be with them.

Of course, negative thoughts still come to mind. It stems from my previous habit of self-deprecation and probably even imposter syndrome (not saying that I am that high-achieving but–hey, see, this is the perfect example of such thoughts!) When this happens, I don’t immediately block it out. I bitch about it, maybe bitch about it some more to some friends who would listen and then, I will let it go. Marcus Aurelius didn’t say that I can’t muse over these negative thoughts first. That’s quite unhealthy. You also have to ponder on why you feel this way, where are these emotions coming from and if it’s really how you perceive yourself. Then afterwards, let it go. If you encounter it again, remind yourself that you have already dealt with it and there’s no use anymore to dwell on it. Some stoics call this “Cultivated Ignorance” and I think that’s beautiful. Don’t worry, it’s not a sign of weakness. Having control of your emotions takes guts. Literally big brain energy (or big balls, idk). 

And yeah, just as a closing remark, if anything bad happened to you today or yesterday, there’s really no point in thinking about it too much. It already occurred. Any struggle about it is impotent. 

Recent obsession and honestly just a great line about strength

Another comforting one from my fave, Dost



No comments:

Post a Comment