Tuesday, August 10, 2021

[Life Blog] Prepping for my Embassy Interview

I am actually writing this exactly one week before my Embassy Interview but surprised, surprised, you'll be reading this months after. 


So it's July 15 today. Yesterday, I got a call from VFS granting my request that my appointment be moved earlier than what it is. It's just a 5-day adjustment but it's a big thing when it comes to visa processing. Time is gold and I am running out of it. My host family is actually expecting me to be in DK next month, on the 2nd of August, but sadly, it can't be done.

I was actually surprised that I got my sched for the interview almost a month after my VFS appearance. That isn't the case most of the time but I guess there is a stream of applicants of all types and the embassy is overloaded already due to cancellations and delays caused by COVID. Well, in my experience, you can get an earlier appointment IF it's truly pressing and if your host family ask you to do so. I WOULDN'T RECOMMEND THOUGH to rig the system by buying tickets going to another part of the Philippines just to make your appointments earlier. It's unfair for everyone.

I am writing this blog to document my preparation before my interview. It's something that I am really preparing for and I am nervous about. I know people who passed it already say that it's done just to check your English proficiency but think twice. I've watched tons of YouTube videos about this and I am certain that it's not for that. It can be a part of it but it's NOT for that.

Before the interview

1. Reading your application form (AU1 Form) and taking notes of the important things in there

I am not saying that you have to memorize some part of it but you have to absorb what is important. As I am not really sure what to expect and I am just getting my information from previous applicants, I try to outline my notes as best as I can to accommodate all information that I think is relevant. 

Here's a sample of my notes:

Name of applicant:
Passport number:                     Expiration date:
Year of Graduation:

Expected Date of Entrance to Host Country: 
Rate:
Contract Period:
Name of Host Parents:
Address of Host Family:
Languages in household:
Name of children in the family:
Birthdays of children in the family: (take note of their age)
Weekly number of hours:
Duties and schedules: (page 17 of 23)

The most important part of the application form is the Conditions of the Au Pair Stay with the family (from pages 15-16 if you're doing the paper-based application and page 3 if you're printing from the online platform). This section includes your rights, privileges and the legal amount of light household chores that you're allowed to do while staying with the family. It also includes the things that you shouldn't do while you're an au pair in your host country. Remember, kababayans, that you are representing your country and any wrongdoings of yours will greatly impact and affect future applications of other Filipinos who wants to pursue this cultural exchange program. So be very careful and follow the laws.

2. Prepare the things that you will bring

If you look this up online, you'll see that there's no specific list of what you should and shouldn't bring during an embassy interview.  Most YouTube videos aren't clear as well when they discussed this so I am gonna try my best to list it down for you (at least for the Royal Danish Embassy interview, but I guess it'll work for the others as well?)

  1. Embassy Interview Letter
  2. Pen
  3. Valid ID Card

3. Practice answering common interview questions in English

Although most of us are bilingual and has been speaking the language since we're toddlers, an anxious and nervous state can still make you stutter or lost your train of thought. Aside from this, it's been proven time and time again that being prepared will give you success.

It's a good thing that the Checklist issued by the Norwegian Embassy contains some guidelines that can be helpful to every au pair applicants. You can practice answering on this set of questions which you can access on this website completely. 

But for an easy reading and concise reference, here are the questions that they listed:
  1. Why do you wish to be an au pair? Why this host country?
  2. How did you find out about the au pair scheme?
  3. What does it mean to be an au pair?
  4. How did you get into contact with the host family?
  5. Do you know anyone living in your future host country? If yes, what are their names and how do you know them?
  6. What will your duties in the host family be?
  7. How many hours will you work each day? Please describe briefly how you imagine it will be.
  8. How many hours will you work each week?
  9. What will you do if your host family offers you to work more hours than what is stated in the contract, so that you can earn extra money?
  10. What will you do if someone outside the host family asks you to do extra work for them?
  11. What are you planning to do in your host country when you are not working?
  12. Do you already have any knowledge of the host country's language?
  13. What are your plans for learning the language while you are in the host country?
  14. Does your host family have an au pair at the moment? If so, what is their name?
  15. What are you planning to do when you are finished being an au pair in your host country?
  16. When are you planning to return to your home country?
  17. Do you have children of your own?
  18. Describe your life at the moment. Are you working? Are you studying?
There are also some questions that I gathered from the group chats that I am a part of. This is specific for the Danish Embassy interview:
  1. Why is English important?
  2. Tell me about your family.
  3. Tell me about yourself.
  4. Tell me about your host family.
  5. Why do you want to be an au pair? Why Denmark?
  6. What did you do after you graduated?
  7. What will you do when you finish your contract?
As you can see, most of them are lateral questions. Work out your answers on this and practice answering in English and you'll be fine. Another tip is to make sure that you countercheck your answers with what's written on your application form. Don't lie and don't give made-up and/or incomplete answers. This website has some great tips on what to avoid during visa interviews.

4. What to wear

If you go to the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Denmark website, you'll be able to locate this portion once you scrolled down. It's literally below, as if it's a foot note of some sort.

Locate the portion of ACCESS PROCEDURE AT THE EMBASSY and take note what the last thing that they wrote in there:




As you can see, there's a dress code that is being implemented in the building. There's nothing specific in there but as a general rule, follow this one and you'll be fine:



Your office clothing will do just fine.

5. Know how to get there

One of the most important one, I guess. Everything that you do before the interview will be nothing if you fail to appear on time. In order for you to avoid the hassle and bustle of the city life, plan ahead your route so there will be no surprises for you when the time comes.

In your embassy letter, it is stated that you should be there 15 minutes before your appointed time BUT I would recommend to be there an hour before your schedule just to make sure. It will also give you time to freshen up, set your phone on airplane mode and for you to calm your nerves before the actual interview.

So, if you're like me who doesn't own a car or knows anyone who can take me there, and you're also going to have your interview in the Danish Embassy, here's a little tip for you personally checked and tried by myself. Being someone from Makati, I am still gonna claim that BGC is in Makati City for the lols. It's a walking city so prepare for a whole lot of walking, okay?

Danish Embassy address: 11th/F 11th Corporate Center, 11th Avenue corner Triangle Drive, Bonifacio Global City

Starting Point: MRT 3, GUADALUPE STATION

1. From the MRT station, alight from Guadalupe Station; if you're coming from the north, use the bridge to cross to the other side. This will take you to Guadalupe Mall. If you are not familiar with the place, don't go inside the mall. Use the staircase to go down and pass through the wet market. This will take you to the jeepney/e-jeepney terminal directly. I am from Makati and I still get lost inside that mall.





2. Walk and look for the terminal to Pateros/C5. Currently, there are also e-jeepneys in there going to C5-FTI. That's what we are gonna ride in order to get to the Embassy.

This photo is taken in 2019 and during those times, they were only catering Pembo-Pateros rides. Currently, there are e-jeepneys in there going to C5/Market-Market

If you don't want to ride the e-jeepney (but I really think you should), you can look for a jeepney. There is an FTI-C5 Terminal down the road from the Guadalupe Mall. It is easy to locate but you will walk from the MRT Station for quite a bit.



3. Ask the driver to drop you off at Kalayaan PSBank or mention 11th.



4. Walk straight along 11th avenue until you reach the first intersection.



5. When you see Burger King, you're at the right building already.



I hope that this blog helps you!
Now for the Embassy Interview experience!


Tschuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment