Monday, April 27, 2020

Part 1 Looking for Scholarships Abroad? (Study + Travel)

Do you hate the Philippines like I do? Nah, I'm sure you do, too! I don't know why I even mentioned that, lol.

Kidding aside, I love this country but not its government. Anyway, ever since I graduated last 2016, I  am already researching ways on how to obtain an MSc outside of this country. Besides the fact that I've heard from various sources that it's easier to acquire a postgraduate degree outside of the Philippines, I, of course, want to move to a different place, meet new people and experience a whole  new other culture.

I want to take up my postgraduate degree FREE just like my bachelor's degree. I had a scholarship back then and I want to get another one for this new chapter of my life (charaught). Tbh, if I have the money, I won't really pursue a scholarship application. Just by reading ways on how to actually get one gives me cluster headache. The process seems to be so tedious and overwhelming.

To be honest, I haven't tried to apply yet to any scholarship because I need an English Language result and those damn tests cost a lot of money and they expire after only two years. I don't want to comment further about this because I might get into trouble.

So, yeah. According to one article I've read about looking for scholarships, you should at least start one year prior to your intended date of study year. So if you're planning to attend a European college or university, they start school around September or October, and start their registration as early as November the previous year and scholarship applications usually has a deadline of February (at least from what I've read).

I am actually planning to attend an MSc Exploration Field Geology degree on University-College Cork (UCC) in Ireland (more of the course description on Part 2). I think the program suits me well because it's only good for one year and it fits perfectly on one scholarship I am eyeing: the Irish GOI-IES.

So, according to my research, each year, they usually give scholarships to around 60 students attending different universities across the Republic of Ireland. If you plan on attending a uni in Dublin, you'll have a greater chance of being accepted if you graduated as Summa Cum Laude because of the influx of students who would want to study in the capital. Applying on one of the other counties, preferably if they're far from the capital would be a better choice as they really want to distribute students. Don't worry also because it is an equal-opportunity scholarship. They promised that there will be no discrimination and that they will even supplement programs with opposite sex if they think that that industry is heavily-dominated by the other gender.

International students from the Asia Pacific are very much welcome because it's one of their goals to build long-term strategic relationships with the countries in Asia (for more information, just click here). As they said in their international education strategy, Irish Educated, Globally Connected.

The GOI-IES is a scholarship for Irish and international students who:
1. Possess excellence (academically, personally, professionally and creatively);
2. Have excellent communication skills (yep, they required IELTS/TOEFL/a weird DUOLINGO exam result?);
3. Have outstanding and remarkable extra-curricular activities (humanitarian work, political activism, arts and sports); and,
4. Possess strong rationale for pursuing their study in Ireland that indicates how a GOI-IES fits in their longer term goals.
Of course, when you apply for such scholarships, you need to have either a conditional and/or final offer.

This scholarship has a 100-pt criteria. Pretty much like applying for a Canadian visa, lol. You will be rated in accordance to your academic achievements (40pts), your personal statement (very important as this covers the remaining 60pts) and two references. If you planned to take a 2-3 year program, I would just like to tell you that this scholarship will only cover your one-year tuition and stipend. You're gonna provide for the remaining years of your schooling.

Do you plan to go study abroad? Please share your experience and tips below. Also, I will talk more about the MSc Geology program being offered by UCC in my next blog.

Thanks.

Hasta la proxima.

No comments:

Post a Comment