Wednesday, October 6, 2021

[Biking Series] Coffee Shops' Touring in Mandaluyong - Part 1

I have a LOT of backlogs when it comes to my blogs re: biking and it will take some time before I finish those. I am also not in the headspace right now to remember everything from all of my previous trips (which was a lot of story time, btw!)

So, I am one of those people who doesn't like to drink coffee. If I am being honest with you, I try to avoid anything that can cause addiction (haha, for those who watch The Big Bang Theory, I do agree with Sheldon) and caffeine is one of those stuff. Also, I don't feel well drinking it because I palpitate and usually feel bad at the end of the day. I do drink it from time to time when I was working with DENR-MGB when I really need to wake up and do some fieldwork but I burn it. Or at least most of it because I still go home with a queasy belly and a headache. I am rambling but yeah. In a year, maybe I drink less than 3 cups.

2020 hit though and I started working in a very stressful corporation. Before, I just get your usual dirty green tea from CBTL and then it evolved into that cursed Hazelnut Iced Coffee from Tim Hortons every other day (THE BEST!). I remembered back then when I invited my work friends to grab one for our 3:00pm break (pre-pandemic, literally around Jan-March) and all of us had a freaking headache together. They avoided having coffee with me afterwards since I only like to get the Hazelnut and I influenced them hard to get the same. Probs a bad influence but if you will get the bad stuff, why not get the worst, right? And if you're asking, I still get the headache and feel bad afterwards whenever I get the Hazelnut and has been reprimanded not to get it that often.

I met a friend who's a hardcore addict, I mean, coffee-addict who also loves to bike. (AIAH, you're gay and stupid but I enjoy hanging out with you. No offense to the LGBTQ community). So yeah, he's a bad influence and he took me around coffee shops near our residents. I will only include the good and memorable ones. I will also NOT rate them because I am not some coffee connoisseur. Peace and love to all the Coffee Chops! Ich trinke gerne Kaffee! 


*ALL PHOTOS ARE TAKEN BY ME or AIAH*

Nihon Café - Namayan 



IG: Nihon Cafe Namayan

Facebook: Nihon Cafe

Location: 401 J. P Rizal Brgy. Namayan Mandaluyong City


Of course, it's biker friendly! 

Aiah scared the crap out of me when he first tried out this café because he was still out at around 11pm and he texted me that he's being detained by police officers due to violating the curfew. He told me that he needed 5k to bail himself out. I panicked since I don't have any cash with me and I need to move around some funds from my Swiss bank accounts (yeah, right) if I really have to send him the money. The bitch was trolling though and he got home without incident before 12am.

Anyway, immediately the following day, we took out his bikes (I was still then borrowing his MTB) and tried some of their foods.

This already cost a lot of money. It was good though.

We ordered three dishes. The best one was the Wagyu Beef Cubes, but dang it was expensive. Btw, I'm not good with the names so bare with me. Just look at the photos and try to identify them on the menu, lol.

Salad with Kewpie Dressing



Free popcorn


For drinks, I got a coffee but honestly, I forgot which one.



We also tried their takoyaki during our second time and the dessert of the day. I only got the red tea because it was already 9:30pm when we got there (and yes, we got away with the 10pm curfew).

Aiah said that it tasted like the strawberry filling of the Rebisco crackers we all love or hate

You can now dine al fresco in here! (GCQ, baby! Also, get vaccinated!)


Poser meal of the day



PAPA KAPE


IG: Papakape

Facebook: PAPAKAPE

Location: Ampere Street, Palanan, 1235 Makati, Philippines

 

The name itself suggest that the owner is buff. A "papa", if you may, lol. But the owner, Manu, is really into fitness and if you visit this coffee shop, you'll see what I mean.

What's special about their coffee is it's ginger-infused. Aiah keeps on saying that it feels like a warm hug when you take your first sip but it was a different experience for me. I was so surprised because it was so strong. Not in a bad way though. I just don't know how to describe it since it was an unfamiliar taste for me. See? I think I shouldn't really write shit like this but what can you do? It's my blog and I'm just sharing where I've been to.

Going back, I got a coffee with toffee on top and it was definitely good. Probs a little bit too sweet for my taste but then again, I decided to get the one with toffee on top. We also got their suman which has a special twist. I can't really put my finger on it but it kinda reminds me of a dark chocolate chip cookies. I feel like there were surprised cacao nibs in there. I might be making that up but that was what I got from it.

 


Our drinks (the one on the left was mine and Aiah 
chose a coffee which tasted like stew or something)


The freaking workstation


We did not stay long in here because we went to Intramuros afterwards (throwback to that time when I was still attending Mapua and taking up GSE) and ate at this Shawarma house in Malate.



KOMBI BREW



IG: Kombi Brew

Facebook: Kombi Brew

Location: Mobile; they change location from time to time but we found them at Paete, Mandaluyong, Metro Manila


Aiah saw this cool artisanal coffee shop in a Kombi and I guess we just have to go there and try it out. I scouted it out first on a weekday but they were not there. As it turns out, they are only open during the weekends.

We only stayed here to finish our drinks because we're freaking tired from our "Café in the Sky" trip. We ordered the "Ocean drink" (that's what I'm gonna call it) which is inspired by the ocean, lol. It was colored by a flower which is really cool. It also has a bursting boba and lychees! 


le drincc

Budz the owner with Aiah and I (private people, lol)


I have two more coffee shops to write about. They were recommended by Budz, btw. I really have to go now because it's late and I have to work out at 5:30am.

Tschuss. 

2 comments: