Sunday, February 12, 2023

[Stoic Meditation] Protect Your Peace of Mind

This is the fourth day of me trying to practice Stoicism.

I've been writing my insights every single day since I've started but I think this is going to be the first one to be published. I don't know. Maybe it's because it's a Sunday and I have more time in my hands right now and I just want to be able to update my blog. I've been trying to collate infos and write articles that I should published every other day but it's difficult with my schedule. 

I mean, it's doable, I suppose, but I don't want to be burned out to JUST publish. I want to enjoy life, make it meaningful and make the most out of it. I still want to have the time to listen to music, watch horrible videos online, listen to gossips and contemplate about life. I am truly living in the moment, lol. 

Now, for today's meditation, the book has quoted Epictetus from his work, 'Discourses'.

"Keep constant guard over your perceptions, for it is no small thing you are protecting, but your respect, trustworthiness and steadiness, peace of mind, freedom from pain and fear, in a word, your freedom. For what would you sell these things?"

So far, what I got from being Stoic is to be able to remove yourself from negative perceptions. Taking away the power of things or situations to upset you and "make trouble" within you. I find it fascinating that I've been practicing this without even knowing that this is Stoicism. 

I admit, I've made a lot of changes in my life due to my anxieties and stresses and just generally for having peace of mind. During university, I've removed myself from big groups in order to be able to focus more on my study without being confused from my classmates "lectures". I have also moved away from home when the living situation there won't work out anymore. For four years before moving abroad, I've only visited home when there are special occasions and even stay on the day of Christmas itself and go home before the nightfalls. I've stopped the restless pursuit of validation from my parents, relatives and everyone that knows me. It gives me constant worries and doubts and honestly, it's just not worth it. At work, I've stopped giving outputs that are not even on my job description. I was not born a slave and I won't start now.

It is not because I don't give a damn about these at all. I do, A LOT, and that's why anxiety and stress are always up there when thinking about these things. I guess, at some point, I realize that I should care about myself more and try to make myself happy. That going on with my life with all of these fears and pains and "boxes" just strangles the life out of me. As per this book, "Every time you get upset, a little bit of life leaves the body." I can only have enough life in my time of living and I don't want to spend that on being just mad, angry, fearful, upset, etc. I want to have a carefree life as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment